Homemade 12 Frame Honey Extractor

This has been a long time coming.  I started out in a 55 gallon drum as a two frame spinner.  As you would guess, moving from a 2 frame to a 12 frame cuts down on a lot of time.  There have been a few issues along the way, but this extractor worked great.

DSC_5508

Here is my uncapping bucket.  The frame rests on the screw that is on the top bar allowing it to spin around freely as I uncap the frames.  The screen catches the caps and allows the honey to continue to the bottom with the valve.

DSC_5105

Here are the guts of the extractor.  I cut the bottom and top plates out of 3/4 inch plywood with a CNC router.  After all the bugs are worked out, I will re-cut out of 3/4 inch HDPE.  I drew the patterns in Adobe Illustrator then exported them to BobCad to generate the toolpaths.  Notice the pulley at the top is out of an old drill press.  I used the drill press motor with the same belt and pulley system.

 DSC_5503

There is the completed unit with stand and steps.  The drill press motor and pulley system.  Also, you can see the 40 frames that I am getting ready to extract.

 DSC_5506

A look down into the extractor where the frames get loaded.

DSC_5507

View from the other side where the honey exits the extractor and goes into a bucket.

DSC_5515

Let the honey flow.  Sweet gold pouring from the extractor.

Picking Pecks of Peppers

Well, we finally decided to put the garden to bed.  We pulled up all the plants and picked them clean.

DSC_5739

Now that is a lot of peppers!!!

  DSC_5645

Rylin holding up his prize pepper

DSC_5652

Ryan cleaning off a chile pepper plant.

DSC_5655

Rylin holding up a sweet banana pepper plant

DSC_5657

Riley cleaning off a habanero pepper plant.

DSC_5671

Nice looking butternut squash Rylin

DSC_5679

Part of the crew (some looking at the camera)

DSC_5695

Lily decided she wanted to take a few pictures, and I liked this one.

DSC_5746

DSC_5643

Cleaning plants off and jumping, what a great combination.

Pressing Cider with a Smile

We started out the night getting our apples and getting all of the cider press tuned up.  This is a press that I have been working on for a few years now.  I modify a few items each year as I turn it into a “well oiled machine.”  This first press what the best first press we have had, since we get a little more organized each year.

DSC_5523

Giving the apples a good hydrogen peroxide wash.

DSC_5526

Grinding the apples up into apple mash

DSC_5530

 Load the press up, and we are ready to squeeze the juice out of them.

DSC_5535

The sweet nectar flows out of the apple and into our bucket!

DSC_5544

This is soooo much fun.

DSC_5549

Just about all squeezed out.

   DSC_5550

What remains after the juice is pressed out.  This year I want to make an attachment to the Cider Press which I named the “Candy Apple Press.”  The attachment will be a deer block attachment.  I will add a few choice ingredients to the apple pulp and press it into blocks that the deer will love.