Homemade 12 Frame Honey Extractor

This has been a long time coming.  I started out in a 55 gallon drum as a two frame spinner.  As you would guess, moving from a 2 frame to a 12 frame cuts down on a lot of time.  There have been a few issues along the way, but this extractor worked great.

DSC_5508

Here is my uncapping bucket.  The frame rests on the screw that is on the top bar allowing it to spin around freely as I uncap the frames.  The screen catches the caps and allows the honey to continue to the bottom with the valve.

DSC_5105

Here are the guts of the extractor.  I cut the bottom and top plates out of 3/4 inch plywood with a CNC router.  After all the bugs are worked out, I will re-cut out of 3/4 inch HDPE.  I drew the patterns in Adobe Illustrator then exported them to BobCad to generate the toolpaths.  Notice the pulley at the top is out of an old drill press.  I used the drill press motor with the same belt and pulley system.

 DSC_5503

There is the completed unit with stand and steps.  The drill press motor and pulley system.  Also, you can see the 40 frames that I am getting ready to extract.

 DSC_5506

A look down into the extractor where the frames get loaded.

DSC_5507

View from the other side where the honey exits the extractor and goes into a bucket.

DSC_5515

Let the honey flow.  Sweet gold pouring from the extractor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


one × = 2

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>